Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury,pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy. O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Tijuana

Really, it's not about the physical labor.

Yeah, the foundation is the most important part of the house, and the roof keeps the rain off, but really, it's about a lot more than that.

My experience in Tijuana was about being a horse for a few kids, getting in a tickle fight with a little girl who just wanted to be a little girl, smiling at a migrant as he sang to me during dinner. It was about realizing that although I may have many tangible things, I am lacking in what is most important. It was about understanding some of the struggles that our brothers and sisters just over the border are facing every day of their lives.

Personally, I know that I can change a few things about the way I live. I say this every year when I get back from Mexico, but I think this year I might really be up for the challenge. I think maybe this year my goal will be to ignore the politics, ignore the economics, and focus on one simple fact.

Those people living just across the border, and those in our own communities are people too. They have hearts, and feelings, and families, and homes, and lives just like you and I. The only thing separating them from us is a giant, man-made wall.

Get to know someone new today. Say hi to your neighbor, the guy at the bus stop, smile at the lady in the checkout line. They are people too.

No comments: