Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury,pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy. O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

Saturday, August 4, 2007

On my way and newly discovering the liturgy!

I'm nearing my departure from Seattle. I fly out at 2:10 Monday morning from SeaTac and arrive in Kolkata at 12:45 AM Wednesday after stopping in Taiwan and Bangkok. Tuan will be meeting me at the airport and will have a taxi waiting so I don't have to try and navigate Kolkata on my own in the middle of the night. I'm pretty excited and definitely terrified. But not too terrified.

Also, I just started reading The Spirit of the Liturgy by Cardinal Ratzinger. I'm only through the first chapter but it is already amazing! I've already begun to look at the Liturgy in a new way. I'm glad Father Quitac reccommended it for my preparation as Peer Minister of Liturgy at the Newman Center.

Ratzinger is talking about how God implements a set way to worship to Moses as he leads the people out of Egypt:
"Man himself cannot simply 'make' worship. If God does not reveal himself, man is clutching empty space. ... When God does not reveal himself, man can, of course, from the sense of God within him, build altars 'to the unknown god' (Acts 17:23). He can reach out toward GOd in his thinking and try to feel his way toward him. But real liturgy implies that God responds and reveals how we can worship him. In any form, liturgy includes some kind of 'instituion'. It cannot spring from imagination, our own creativity - then it would remain just a cry in the dark or mere self-affirmation. Liturgy implies a real relationship with Another, who reveals himself to us and gives our existence a new direction."

I could quote a lot more, but maybe you should just read the book for yourself!

God Bless, I'll talk to you from Kolkata!

No comments: