Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury,pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy. O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Welcome to Kokata!

So I survived Bangkok. Word of advice...don't ever let people think you ordered a green tea and almond Blizzard from Dairy Queen, they're not that good. That airport seriously almost made me want to buy a purse, a real purse with handles and shiny buckles, but I didn't....don't worry.

There was a bit of miscommunication between Tuan and I. He thought I was flying in a day later than I actually was, which means he was not at the airport this morning (Wednesday) to pick me up. Luckily the scary military men helped me find a guy who helped me call Sara in the states because I knew she would know what hotel Tuan was staying at. It's funny 'cause I always accuse Sara of never answering her phone and the one time I needed her to, she did! I was so happy to hear her voice and Rachael's. They got ahold of Tuan at Hotel Maria and he said he would wait for me out in the street. So I got a cab (not a prepaid one...long story) and made it to Sudar Street. Turns out I paid about 3 times as much as I should have, honesty is not a strong suit for the taxi drivers. Anyway, I got to the hotel and finally went to sleep around 2:30 AM. Woke up for Mass this morning at 5:30. I'm exhausted.

Another cool thing...apparently there is a strike by the communist party today so women volunteers were told that they shouldn't leave there hotels after 8:00 am. There have been bus bombings and general harrassment in the past and they didn't want us out there. Briana and I went to Shishu just so she could say goodbye to the kids and then back to the hotel. I haven't seen any bombs yet.

I'm glad I've been here less than 10 hours and already have two stories that I'm sure my mom doesn't want to hear. While in Kolkata right? haha...ehhem. Oh yeah, and I was slapped in the behind by a small child on the street today. Ohhh kolkata.

I agree with Jacob when he said I'm hot 'cause it's humid not 'cause I'm fly...it's hot here. I haven't showered since Sunday and I'm wondering if I even want to. My friends here were so happy to see that I brought air fresheners for our room because it smells (not because of me), just in general.

Thursdays are no volunteer days, so I won't actually start until Friday. I think I might sleep for a whole day. I'm pretty much on the verge of tears all the time (surprising I know) I think due to tiredness, being overwhelmed, etc. It was pretty moving to be at Mass with the sisters this morning. I can honestly say that I have never heard a more beautiful sound than the sisters singing. Angels. Also, Mother Teresa walked here in these streets! I still can't believe that I am really here. Since I was little I have wanted to walk in Mother's footsteps, and now I am. It is a wonderful feeling, very sureal. I also met Sister Karina today. It's cool 'cause we have the same name. She smiled, it was fun.

Emily, Wednesday is great...you're going to have a wonderful birthday!

Mom, I found several kids to adopt. Some of them can't move on their own so they shouldn't be too hard to watch... they are beautiful.

Siena house and Andrew, thank you so much for the Palanca! I was so happy to read them this morning.

Everyone else, thank you so much for your prayers and well wishes! I definitely feel protected by the Holy Spirit here, Your prayers are a big comfort.

Love you! Talk to you soon, Corina.

2 comments:

Val said...

Corina my dear, Welcome to Kolkata. Don't worry about being on the verge of tears all the time, it's normal. We were all like that basically the entire time we were there. That's fun about the bombs, except not really. Yeah when we were there my birthday was election day so and the communist party one, so that was interesting. The kids on the street are fun, play with them, dance with them, just watch out for the ones that will run after you for your water bottle, they're incredibly aggressive. You will appreciate showers, especially cold ones soon. God Bless you. Say hi to Sr. Karina for me, she probably doesn't remember me so you might just say the filipino from Canada who played the guitar for volunteer day two years ago. Ha ha ha. Okay, Bye! Lots of love from Jon and I.

Molly said...

Ohhh, Corina. It's OK to cry. Stay safe over there, with all that scary political stuff flaring up around you. I'm excited for the people that you will take care of and the Sisters- they're so blessed to have you there!

Stay safe, have fun, and... well, that's all I can think to order you to do... God bless!