Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury,pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy. O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Dispensary!

So today I was a little bummed that I had run out of time to go to Kalighat (Mother's first home, for the dying and destitute). Well, God must have known because as soon as I walked into Daya Dan, Sister said that she needed me in the Dispensary for the morning. For 4 hours I undressed, cleaned, and redressed wounds of the poor. Most of the wounds that I took care of were holes in people's feet. One mother brought her small son, maybe 1.5 years old, who had his foot burned badly by hot oil. His foot had been black for a week and she had just now gotten help for him. It was so hard to watch him cry in pain as we wiped away the charred skin.

A couple of the girls helping were nurses, I think, and one of them kept wanting to cut everything... luckily the Sister kept saying, no, we just clean and redress...phew! I was not able to cut people's skin away. I recruited a couple of Spanish volunteers to help, so I got to explain to them, in Spanish, what to do even though I didn't really know myself. I thought my Spanish was pretty good though, apparently good enough to explain how a hospital works!

Anyway, I was so happy to have this experience because it showed me a different kind of suffering that people face here. Looking at the crying baby gave me a clear look of Jesus' face. I imagined Jesus and his Mother walking through the streets.

Oh India, what great things it has to teach me, even on my last day of real work! Tommorrow is Mother's feast day! It has been 10 years since she died. I am excited to party with the kids tomorrow, they love feast days : )

See you soon, Corina

No comments: